Monday, March 25, 2013

True or false?

This is from an interview with atheist Camille Paglia:

But as the students read these words, and as Paglia talked them through the spiritual, there was something wrong. The students were not connecting with the song. “It was hard going,” she explains. “There was a disconnect as I kept talking and talking. I felt I was struggling, and I didn’t know why. And then it struck me with horror that of a class of twenty-five students, only two seemed to recognize the name ‘Moses’ and understand what I was saying—and they were African-American students.” A few others had heard the name “Moses” before, but it was clear that they did not know his story of bondage in Egypt or anything about his role as the liberator of the Jews. 
“They did not know who he was,” she tells me in disbelief. “If you are an artist and you don’t recognize the name of ‘Moses,’ then the West is dead. It’s over. It has committed suicide.”

HT - Lane Core Jr.


Gail Finke said...

And Camille Paglia helped kill it. You can only "deconstruct" something for so long. There has to be a recognizable construction to deconstruct, just as there has to be a recognizable norm to transgress. How did all those "transgressive" artists and writers THINK things would turn out?

John Kasaian said...

We've evolved into a larger, stupider, younger athiestic society than Paglia could have imagined. Surprise!

Lauran said...

Self-hate often, Camille?

What these atheists will do to hide their obvious hate for God (who, of course, they deny exists) sends my head crashing to my desk.

Who links to me?