Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Disruptive searches seem to be a favorite ploy on the part of totalitarians to punish dissidents.


This is from "Catholic Theologians in Nazi Germany" by Robert Krieg, p. 68:

//Most of Wurzburg's Catholic theologians covertly resisted the Nazi state and paid a price for doing so.  In February 1933, police conducted a disruptive search of each scholar's residence. Not intimidated by this action, Andreas Bigelmair, professor of patrology and pastoral theology, continued to criticize the new government throughout the winter and spring of 1933 and was therefore listed as an enemy of the state. Three Storm Troopers came to his residence at 3:00 A.M., on June 29, 1933, and searched in vain for seditious literature."



This is from Wisconsin in 2011:

//Agents with weapons drawn swarmed through every part of the house. They barged into the bathroom where my partner was showering. I was told to shut up and sit down. The officers rummaged through drawers, cabinets and closets. Their aggressive assault on my home seemed more appropriate for a dangerous criminal, not a longtime public servant with no criminal history.

After they left, I surveyed the damage. Drawers and closets had been ransacked. My deceased mother’s belongings were strewn across the floor. Neighbors gathered in small clusters at the end of their driveways and the press arrived in force.

What had prompted the raid? My guess: As an adviser to Gov. Walker, I had played a lead role in drafting and implementing public-employee labor reforms that would propel him to the national stage.

The governor’s reforms, commonly referred to as Act 10, prompted angry union protests. The reforms also enraged many politicians, including, as I would later find out, Mr. Chisholm and members of his staff. My ties to Gov. Walker and Act 10 made me a prime target for Mr. Chisholm’s campaign to intimidate anyone close to the governor.

In other words, I was targeted because of my politics—in plain violation of the First Amendment and federal civil-rights statutes.//


No comments:

 
Who links to me?