Saturday, August 10, 2002

Another example of the great liberal tradition of free speech

Keeping its reputation for neutral commentary intact, CNN reports that Hecklers interrupt Cheney speech in this article:

Hecklers interrupted Vice President Dick Cheney as he talked Wednesday about corporate fraud, a topic he ducked later when asked about the company he used to run that's under investigation.


First point, why is it that heckling and disruption seems to be a practice more common on the left than the right? While I am sure that examples of similar activities by the right can be gleaned from the record, it seems to be something like liberal bias in the media, the left uses these practices on an order of magnitude more often than the right. It probably has something to do with the influence of the Communists. [Jeez, I hope that doesn't sound nutty. Look, there really were people who either identified themselves as Communists, or were favorably disposed to Communism, in America from the 1920s and thereafter, and people with that ideology or mindset really did play a role in various leftist organizations, and I imagine that the tactics of those people and that ideology did bleed into the cultural "memes" of that part of the political spectrum. The New Left was largely influenced by those people. On the right, the analogous group is probably the Libertarians, which doesn't really encourage one to take over the streets in protest - buy the streets, maybe, but steal them, never.OK, now I'm ready for the reasoned and temperate charges of being a McCarthyite bent on stifling free-speech through the "terror" that such "guilt by accusation" creates.]

Second, Cheney "ducked" questions? That's what CNN said, but in fact Cheney referred anyone interested to Halliburton's website which provides an explanation that there really is no scandal in the Halliburton case inasmuch as the issue turns on whether the estimates of collecting cost-overruns were "reasonable." But, oddly, I couldn't find a link to the Halliburton site or to Cheney's speech in the CNN post. I did find a link to the Halliburton site at Byron York at National Review Online in the aptly entitled "Cheney and Halliburton : The News You Haven’t Heard." I guess the CNN reporter was too busy to provide the link so that readers could go to the "primary source." Amazing, in this day and age, CNN is still restrict the flow of information to favor its themes.


No comments:

 
Who links to me?