Friday, August 23, 2002

Cruising around Blogville one day

I found this web site asking the timeless question: BOB JONES University: Anti-Catholic? It's an official statement by Bob Jones University, and appears to be an attempt to convince the reader that Bob Jones really isn't anti-Catholic. Now, I don't care if Bob Jones is or isn't. I think they have the right to believe and say whatever they want. If they are, well then good for them for having the courage of their convictions.

On the other hand, the website is unintentionally funny. Why would you put into a website trying to convince people that you are not anti-Catholic post a link to comments by Ian Paisely, who is still fighting the Thirty Years War. And, what does Bob Jones mean by this comment:

A note to fervent Catholics: there may come a day when, for political purposes, a presidential candidate finds it helpful to refer to loyal Catholics as "anti-protestant." If that day comes, send me your e-mail address and I'll return a note of encouragement.


Are these people smoking crack? Do they actually think that any politician would believe that there could be some political advantage to be gained in describing Catholics as "anti-Protestant" when over 25% of the population in America is Catholic. But, hey, when the the latent political power inherent in the fear of the average American that "loyal Catholics" are "anti-Protestant" is unleashed by some politician, "loyal Catholics" won't have to fear pogroms and reprisals because they will get an encouraging e-mail from someone at Bob Jones University.

I can hardly wait.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?