Eric Alterman has a post under the heading "News for Dummies." The title immediately caused me to wonder about whom Alterman was making a reference to. An almost immediate answer was provided by his comment: "Are Americans particularly stupid and or anti-intellectual, or could this kind of story happen anywhere? I can never make up my mind about such questions." Oh, of course, the "Dummies" are Americans who are either particularly stupid or anti-intellectual.
My next immediate reaction was to think ill of Alterman and try to work the concept of "intellectual snobbery" into a post. [Which I have just - with great subtlety - accomplished.]
Oddly, one of the next posts I read was this one.
One more Nader voter makes her case. (If only Ann Coulter were a lesbian, these two would be perfect for each other.)
I thought, that's odd. I wonder what some unknown e-mailer wrote to Alterman. So I clicked on the link to find this article -Times Online - which was written by Camille Paglia, who is a self-avowed leftist lesbian libertarian [do you like the listing of limpid alliterations?] Why didn't Alterman acknowledge her by name? Why would Alterman want to sexually link a leftist lesbian libertarian with the battling blonde of Burkeanism? Does Alterman have deep issues he needs to work on?
Anyhow, Paglia had this particularly pertinent passage. [I can't seem to switch the alliteration mode off.]
One problem is that too many leftist periodicals are run by callow cliques whose vaunted populism is a mask for snobbery. (emphasis added.)
But that's exactly where I came in. Alterman deconstructed within thirty seconds and with two posts from his own webpage. Thank you, Fresno. I will be playing here every Thursday through the summer.























No comments:
Post a Comment