More news from the enraged ICBDP front. Under the heading Barkeeps boycott Boston Beer Co. this report:
Massachusetts bar owners are revolting against the makers of Sam Adams beer.
The barkeeps are refusing to sell Boston Beer Co. products, protesting company founder Jim Koch for ``kicking the Catholic Church when it's down.''
Here's another neat quote:
``We called the company and asked them to take back all the products,'' said Jim McGettrick, who owns the Beachcomber in Quincy. ``I just think it's unbelievable. Whatever his religion is, I would never go and desecrate his place of worship. The Catholic Church has enough problems without all of this from outsiders.''
[Actually, I threw that quote in so I could point out that the Sainted Mother of the Publisher of Lex Communis hails from Quincy, which is pronounced "Kwinzee" and not the way it's spelled. If things had worked out different, I could be sitting in the Beachcomber's tonight - actually, right now since it's almost 2:00 pm PST - and not ordering Sam Adams in a nifty Boston accent. I guess I could console myself by going to some Fresno Bar and not ordering Sam Adams in the flat-midwestern-with-an-Okie-twang we use in these parts.]
Also, the Diocese of New York - where the sacrilege occurred -has announced that it is satisfied by Boston Beer Co.'s apology. Great, but one can't help but think that if this was an issue that Rev. Jesse Jackson could wedge himself into, one of his family members or retainers would find themselves with a shiny new Sam Adams distributorship by next Tuesday.























No comments:
Post a Comment