Saturday, December 07, 2002

Pearl Harbor Day

It is Pearl Harbor Day, and I didn't want to let it pass without remembrance. Anna at the Belligerent Bunny Blog offers her nuanced thoughts on the historical meaning of this day. She also offers her perspective on Pearl Harbor as part of a learning curve:

When I think of the suicidal fanatics who hurl planes at us today, I wonder if there is anything we can learn from history. Yes there is. Pearl Harbor teaches us that the appropriate solution is nuclear.


Now, I'm sure that lesson plan is offered with a great deal of tongue in cheek. But who knows? And shouldn't it be America's enemies that are wondering what those insane Americans might do if they are sufficiently provoked?

Update The Angry Clam has a good Pearl Harbor Day post including this link to a post about one of those well-if-he-didn't-say-it-he-should-have historical urban legends, specifically, Admiral Yamomoto's non-observation about waking a "sleeping giant." I think there is some historical provenance in this historical non-event since Yamamoto did express a belief that Japan's rampage would last about a year before American production ramped up.

Second Update Anna is running a "swinging 40's weekend" at BBB. Check it out.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?