Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all.

By now, I am sure that those of you on the East Coast are in full celebratory mode. Here on the West Coast, we're at the early evening lull before folks start heading out to parties.

I find myself in an unusual situation. For the first time since 1985, I am without the girlfriend/fiance/wife or our children. So, rather than inflict happy party-goers with my morose melancholia, I have decided to hole up with the midnight showing of Lord of the Rings. It should be entertaining and keep me from deep reflection on The Meaning of It All. Moreover, I should end up tomorrow at the gym without a hangover, which will immediately mean that I'm starting off the New Year better than many, many others.

It's been a good year for me. Around August I returned to a five/six day a week exercise regime after too many years of inactivity. I'm now benching over 200 pounds and running a 10 minute mile. Next year it will be more weight and an 8 minute mile. I am also using the 40 minute on the stationary bike to read the many books I've purchased and never found the time to read. I have also been a regular attender of our local small Communio group and formed friendships with truly wonderful people while living a life of the mind which one doesn't find in the workaday world.

Professionally, I end the year better than last year with the satisfaction of, inter alia, being able to secure to a hardworking 45 year old man with a young family and a bad heart an opportunity to provide for his family, and, likewise, to obtain for a fiftyish cancer survivor a way to maintain her health insurance while she recovers, and, in general, the satisfaction of enforcing those laws that give our fellow human beings a modicum of dignity in the workworld. Not a bad bit of ranch work for 2003.

I end the year with happy, healthy children and good friends both in the mundane world and in this virtual world. I thank the Lord of the Internet for the opportunity to take part in the conversation which modern technology has given our fortunate generation. I taken some positions here and elsewhere and sometimes I've been right and sometimes wrong, but, through it all, I've continued to learn and stay mentally alive. Thanks to everyone who participated in my project.

Again, Happy New Year and may all your dreams come true in 2004.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?