Sunday, December 14, 2003

People who sound like their 'roids are flaring.

On the Saddam capture, go to Atrios and read the posts and the comments.

My word, it appears that the capture of Saddam is either an awful thing or not very important. Atrios wonders who the American people will "select as the enemy now." After all, it's Americans who do the selecting. Who chose to have Saddam mass murder his own people, support international terrorism and have international terrorists commit mass murder.

The comments are precious also. This comment is just too precious. The comment writer, who had previously been using the failure to capture Saddam as evidence of the failure of American policy, has just had an epiphany that the capture of Saddam really isn't important at all. And he's wondering why he's suffering from cognitive dissonance. The earnestness - the shallow, hypocritical earnestness - appears to be causing him some discomfort.

Let's give them what they want for Xmas - sour grapes for all.

Update: But credit where credit is due. Joe Biden exhibits patriotism.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but there really is a difference between Biden and Gephardt and Lieberman, who apparently understand that love of country implies wanting good for the sake of the country, and the newer version for whom patriotism is either a suspect concept. I am so tired of the banal cliche being put forth by the latter that they are true patriots because they criticize the government as an exercise of democratic freedom. I might give more credit to that bumper sticker concept if I ever saw them have to the courage to criticize their organizations, sacred cows, leaders and interest groups. These people think nothing of implying that America has fabricated an enemy out of Ba'athist Iraq, but I have never heard them criticize a race baiter like Al Sharpton. They cry that America oppresses minorities and "progressives" but sit silently by when abortion protesters are selectively weeded from protests because of their positions and when "hate speech" regulations are used against their ideological opponents.

There is a reason that our rights are rotting away from the inside, but, mercifully, it can't be laid at the feet of people like Biden and Gephardt.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?