I caught this meme from Polipundit, who reveals that he has a Roger Zelazny autograph as part of his list of "10 things I've done, that most other people haven't."
So, here's my contribution to the meme in chronological order:
1. I was born in a territorial possession days before statehood (Hawaii - 8/18/59 and 8/21/59, respectively, but, hold on for a moment, according to this 2002 Statehood Day Resolution claims that "on August 18, 1959, Hawai`i was admitted to the Union" and that August 21, 1959 was the day that President Eisenhower proclaimed that Hawaii was admitted to the Union - so either I was one of the first persons born in the state or the last ones born in the territory. Now, one ironic thing about that is that I shared a lab bench at Fresno City College with the guy who was the bona fide first person born in the State of Alaska - what are the odds of that?)
2. 7 schools in 12 grades. (Navy brat; see item #1.)
3. Shook Ray Bradbury's hand in a private audience before he gave a talk at CSUF. May, 1977)
4. College graduate at 20; Law School graduate at 23. (1980 and 1983, respectively.)
5. Published co-author of law review article ("Can Science be inopportune: the Constitutional validity of restrictions on race/IQ research", UCLA Feb 1984)
6. Divisional sabre and foil championship winner for Mountain Valley Division of the USFA. (Mid to Late '80s)
7. Tried cases to jury. (variously from 1989)
8. Spoke to Claude Pepper, of whom it was alleged that "his sister was a thespian"; alas, this story appears to be yet another joy-killing urban legend.
9. Represented prevailing parties in precedential decisions published in the California official reports and cited by Witkin (and, sadly, one case cited in Witkin where I came in "second", which strangely received an entire chapter explaining the significance of the case in terms that the litigants never thought of.)
10. Defended designer of first privately funded/designed spaceship and first civilian test pilot of same in depositions - the case had nothing to do with the spaceship, by the way. Also, and this is interesting in itself, our co-counsel was George Hedges, who after the case was involved in the discovery of the "lost city of Ubar."
I really want to get this one in for the sheer cluelesness of it all...
11. Experienced Fairbanks, Alaska on the shortest day of the year. (12/21/2004)
Also, I wanted to add this one, simply because I try to push the news that private initiative will, and has, changed the world...
12. Established 2 Paul Harris Fellowships and working on a third through Rotary International to contribute to the eradication of polio in the world; God willing, we will see the extermination of the polio virus in the next 5 years.
OK, maybe it doesn't include "flying the bush in Alaska", but it'll just have to do until I get a better life.























No comments:
Post a Comment