It's disturbing how lame this Jack Chick tract is.
Actually, its lameness is a step up from his normal stuff.
What is also disturbing is how the crowd at Boarshead Tavern seem to have a soft spot in their heart for Jack Chick.
For example:
Sooo…I don’t like to come down too hard on J. Chick, because, well, he’s just a fundy with some really bad ideas on evangelism. But, hooboy, after reading this new halloween tract...where the hell is Scott Ward when we need him?
Hmm..."bad ideas on evangelism", but other than that nothing so much too come down on ????
And from the I-monk:
We actually had a teacher who, for many years, distributed bundles of Chick tracts to the students DURING chapel for the kids to read. His reasoning was that many of them weren’t listening anyway, which was true, but as a speaker it really annoyed me to look out and see the Chick tracts being read. Told the kids there wasn’t anything being said that they should attend to. Not to mention that they are pretty much somewhere between dangerously fundamentalist and outright cultic.
So we put a stop to it. Safe to say, my stock dropped with that fellow. He later walked out of a study I was leading when we discussed justification by grace through faith. He couldn’t deal with it.
I guess the disturbing thing is that I didn't really think that anyone actually read the stuff. I thought they were something like an urban legend, but to find that the problem with them from a fairly ecumenical person like I-monk is that they disrupt chapel, rather than their tendentious, hateful content goes a long way to explaining his crisis in the face of his wife's conversion to Catholicism.
And this one:
Wow, wow, wow. I am nowhere near as friendly to Jack Chick as Kurt is—I think his tracts do more harm than good, by far. But this one. Wow. It’s wacky even for normal Chick standards. Woof!
And TMH: I’m glad to hear you put a stop to that nonsense you mentioned. I always thought it was a bit odd and a whole lot disrespectful.
The whole conversation strikes me as surreal. It's as if they were discussing Neo-nazi tracts and agreeing that while there are some good things in them, if distributed in a non-disruptive manner.
I'm going to have to rethink my views on how accurately Jack Chick reflects a certain ingrained way of thinking.
Too bad.























3 comments:
Jack Chick is to fundamentalist Baptist thought what Rush is to conservative thought; a bit of a caricature of the breed and a couple notches over the top but nonetheless representative of a large notch of the breed.
You'll have more ecumenical folks like the I-monk (who spoke in my church last year) in Baptist circles but there are plenty of folks for whom Catholic bashing is still a low art. However, it often a odd caricature of Catholicism that they often are opposed to rather than real life Catholics who know the Lord as much as they do.
Well at least he didn't stick his fangs into the Catholic Church this time.
Jack-boy must be getting soft
in his old age.
Perhaps he can land a gig as a poster boy for sola scriptura?
Jack Chick taught me everything I needed to know about Catholicism, as a 14 yr old poorly catechized Catholic kid. I still blame his tracks for some of the 31 years I spent outside the Church!
This here is my little payback
Post a Comment