Friday, November 21, 2008

This attitude is pretty common, though most people don't admit to it.

The Volokh Conspiracy points out this article about a county board member who voted against allowing a Catholic church to rezone - in order to allow it to expand - because of her opposition to the Catholic Church's position on abortion:

A county board voted to rezone a greater Bluffton church over the objection of one County Council member who said she'll vote against it because of the Catholic church's stance on reproductive rights and other issues.

The county Land Management Committee voted 5-2 Monday to rezone St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church from rural to suburban, a move that, if approved by County Council, would allow the growing parish to expand.


And:

During the discussion, Laura Von Harten, who represents Beaufort and Port Royal, but is not a member of the land committee, said she won't support the rezoning when it comes before the council because official Catholic policies are an "affront to my dignity and all of womankind."

Von Harten cited the Catholic church's position against female clergy and "uterus rights" as her reason for opposing the rezoning request.

"I don't want to support anything that will perpetuate that," she said. "I just have to vote in favor of love and not hate."

Church leaders took great exception to Von Harten's comments.

"I've lived in South Carolina for 15 years and have never heard such religious bigotry," Father Ronald Cellini said after the meeting.


Here is some more from the Catholic News Agency:

During a land management committee discussion, Laura Von Harten explained she would oppose the request of the parish at the full council meeting later in the week. Although Von Harten does not serve on the land committee, she took the floor to make plain her views about the Catholic Church.

According to the Beaufort Gazette, she cited “human rights issues” as a reason for her opposition.

"I could not have Father Cellini's job or the Pope's job if I wanted it and it's an affront to my dignity as a woman and all of womankind,” said Von Harten, who is reportedly a Unitarian Universalist.

“I don't want to support anything that will perpetuate that kind of ideology that would prevent me from being an active leader in an organization, and I don't like the way they want to control women's uteruses, and I just don't want to do anything that would perpetuate that.”

If land must be rezoned, she said, “I want it to be to create a loving inclusive mixed-use community and that's the only way I will give up rural land… I just have to vote in favor of love and against hate when I see hate.”


Just a question, but before someone gets huffy about not being able to lead an organization, isn't it important that they actually believe what the organization teaches? This is almost a parody of "I wouldn't belong to any organization that would have me as a member."

Some more:

She made what she called a formal apology for her remarks on Wednesday, saying her reference to human rights pertain to “the Catholic Church as a political entity, with a seat at the United Nations, but I acknowledge that I offended individuals in my own community.”

The Holy See in fact has a permanent observer mission to the United Nations but no voting seat.

Saying she intended no infringement of anyone’s religious freedom and did not intend to disparage any individual member of the Church, she added:

“I respect the rights of all people to worship in the church of their choosing. Given the history of persecution endured by members of the Catholic Church, I regret my insensitivity on this matter.”

Saying she was “truly sorry” for having “interjected” her concerns about the Catholic Church into a zoning discussion, she claimed she had “meant only an extension of my overall opposition to development that restricts access on the basis of factors such as race, age or gender but it was an inappropriate forum.”

“Please be assured that I have been reminded of the importance of separation of church and state in matters of land use, and have learned a great deal from this incident,” Von Harten continued, asking for forgiveness and pledging “to approach my duties as councilwoman from a more restrained and objective viewpoint.”


I like that part about how she did "not intend to disparage any individual member of the Church." No, why would anyone think that? Individual Catholics are cool, notwithstanding their membership in, support for and love of an organization that she considers to be a hate organization.

What a maroon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter,
I'll bet you a beer she gets an appointment in the Obama regime for her actions.

Anonymous said...

Now there's a perfect example of the absolutely mature, unbiased, and true blue democratic governing of our republic that we've come to expect from the (perverted) democratic left.

Well, when that sky bursts open at the Second Coming, we're all going to witness some serious re-zoning.

 
Who links to me?