Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Witchhunt!

The legacy media is going to suffer another black eye on this one.

Father Thomas J. Brundage, who was the judge in the canonical Criminal Trial against Father Lawrence Murphy, provides information in the Catholic Anchor - the official publication of the Diocese of Anchorage - that cannot be found in the New York Times.  Father Brundage writes:

I will limit my comments, because of judicial oaths I have taken as a canon lawyer and as an ecclesiastical judge. However, since my name and comments in the matter of the Father Murphy case have been liberally and often inaccurately quoted in the New York Times and in more than 100 other newspapers and on-line periodicals, I feel a freedom to tell part of the story of Father Murphy’s trial from ground zero.


As I have found that the reporting on this issue has been inaccurate and poor in terms of the facts, I am also writing out of a sense of duty to the truth.

The fact that I presided over this trial and have never once been contacted by any news organization for comment speaks for itself.
Amazing! The New York Times has been stirring the pot against Pope Benedict for weeks and it never talked to a - 'ow you say - frickin' eye-witness.

Father Brundage makes the following interesting observations:
  • "As a volunteer prison chaplain in Alaska, I have found a corollary between those who have been incarcerated for child sexual abuse and the priests who have committed such grievous actions. They tend to be very smart and manipulative. They tend to be well liked and charming. They tend to have one aim in life — to satisfy their hunger. Most are highly narcissistic and do not see the harm that they have caused. They view the children they have abused not as people but as objects. They rarely show remorse and moreover, sometimes portray themselves as the victims. They are, in short, dangerous people and should never be trusted again. Most will recommit their crimes if given a chance."
This is an interesting observation.  I've dealt with a few people with similar mindsets - feeding their fixation is all they think about 24/7 and they get good at detailing long twisted skeins of stories and lies to get and cover-up what they obsess over.  It's easy for us to wonder how these monsters got away with what they got away with after the fact - and negligence cannot be excused - but anyone who has ever dealt with such a monster can attest that things are never as clear at the time. 
  • "We proceeded to start a trial against Father Murphy. I was the presiding judge in this matter and informed Father Murphy that criminal charges were going to be levied against him with regard to child sexual abuse and solicitation in the confessional."
  • "In my interactions with Father Murphy, I got the impression I was dealing with a man who simply did not get it. He was defensive and threatening."
Murphy fit the profile.
  • "In the summer of 1998, I ordered Father Murphy to be present at a deposition at the chancery in Milwaukee. I received, soon after, a letter from his doctor that he was in frail health and could travel not more than 20 miles (Boulder Junction to Milwaukee would be about 276 miles). A week later, Father Murphy died of natural causes in a location about 100 miles from his home.
Typical pathological liar.

And now for some more media malpractice.
  • "The problem with these statements attributed to me is that they were handwritten. The documents were not written by me and do not resemble my handwriting. The syntax is similar to what I might have said but I have no idea who wrote these statements, yet I am credited as stating them. As a college freshman at the Marquette University School of Journalism, we were told to check, recheck, and triple check our quotes if necessary. I was never contacted by anyone on this document, written by an unknown source to me. Discerning truth takes time and it is apparent that the New York Times, the Associated Press and others did not take the time to get the facts correct."
Of course, not they had a Pope to smear and they had the precedent of "false but accurate" to go on.
  • "Additionally, in the documentation in a letter from Archbishop Weakland to then-secretary of the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith Archbishop Tarcisio Bertone on August 19, 1998, Archbishop Weakland stated that he had instructed me to abate the proceedings against Father Murphy. Father Murphy, however, died two days later and the fact is that on the day that Father Murphy died, he was still the defendant in a church criminal trial. No one seems to be aware of this. Had I been asked to abate this trial, I most certainly would have insisted that an appeal be made to the supreme court of the church, or Pope John Paul II if necessary. That process would have taken months if not longer."
So, let's get this straight, the claim against Pope Benedict is that he interfered with the process of bringing Murphy to trial, except that the process wasn't interfered with because it was going on when Murphy died.

Screw logic. We've got a Pope to smear.
  • "Second, with regard to the role of then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI), in this matter, I have no reason to believe that he was involved at all. Placing this matter at his doorstep is a huge leap of logic and information."
Sure sounds right.
  • "Third, the competency to hear cases of sexual abuse of minors shifted from the Roman Rota to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith headed by Cardinal Ratzinger in 2001. Until that time, most appeal cases went to the Rota and it was our experience that cases could languish for years in this court. When the competency was changed to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, in my observation as well as many of my canonical colleagues, sexual abuse cases were handled expeditiously, fairly, and with due regard to the rights of all the parties involved. I have no doubt that this was the work of then Cardinal Ratzinger."
Ratzinger is devious.  He's covering-up by making the process more expeditious, fair and respectful of everyone's rights!
  • "Fourth, Pope Benedict has repeatedly apologized for the shame of the sexual abuse of children in various venues and to a worldwide audience. This has never happened before. He has met with victims. He has reigned in entire conferences of bishops on this matter, the Catholic Bishops of Ireland being the most recent. He has been most reactive and proactive of any international church official in history with regard to the scourge of clergy sexual abuse of minors. Instead of blaming him for inaction on these matters, he has truly been a strong and effective leader on these issues."
Ah, but where was he in 1967????? Why was he silent back then?

We can always move the goal post.
  • "Finally, over the last 25 years, vigorous action has taken place within the church to avoid harm to children. Potential seminarians receive extensive sexual-psychological evaluation prior to admission. Virtually all seminaries concentrate their efforts on the safe environment for children. There have been very few cases of recent sexual abuse of children by clergy during the last decade or more."
Actually, that's another good point.  One that I've made privately.  When you see teachers being brought up for child abuse, it is current.  The Catholic priests that are still being uncovered date back to before the Reagan administration.
  • Catholic dioceses all across the country have taken extraordinary steps to ensure the safety of children and vulnerable adults. As one example, which is by no means unique, is in the Archdiocese of Anchorage, where I currently work. Here, virtually every public bathroom in parishes has a sign asking if a person has been abuse by anyone in the church. A phone number is given to report the abuse and almost all church workers in the archdiocese are required to take yearly formation sessions in safe environment classes. I am not sure what more the church can do.
Well, let's pray that it works.  It won't entirely, but it will help.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?