Friday, October 26, 2012

Obama and Libya - it just gets even worse.

When you juxtapose this story with the account of the father of one of the murdered Americans about how Obama couldn't look him in the eye, you get a clear sense of an Obama who watched this man's son die without taking a single step to save him because of some deliberate political calculation.

Fox News reports that "CIA operators were denied request for help during Benghazi attack."

Fox News has learned from sources who were on the ground in Benghazi that an urgent request from the CIA annex for military back-up during the attack on the U.S. Consulate and subsequent attack several hours later was denied by U.S. officials -- who also told the CIA operators twice to "stand down" rather than help the ambassador's team when shots were heard at approximately 9:40 p.m. in Benghazi on Sept. 11.

Former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods was part of a small team who was at the CIA annex about a mile from the U.S. Consulate where Ambassador Chris Stevens and his team came under attack. When he and others heard the shots fired, they informed their higher-ups at the annex to tell them what they were hearing and requested permission to go to the consulate and help out. They were told to "stand down," according to sources familiar with the exchange. Soon after, they were again told to "stand down."

Woods and at least two others ignored those orders and made their way to the Consulate which at that point was on fire. Shots were exchanged. The quick reaction force from the CIA annex evacuated those who remained at the Consulate and Sean Smith, who had been killed in the initial attack. They could not find the ambassador and returned to the CIA annex at about midnight.

At that point, they called again for military support and help because they were taking fire at the CIA safe house, or annex. The request was denied. There were no communications problems at the annex, according those present at the compound. The team was in constant radio contact with their headquarters. In fact, at least one member of the team was on the roof of the annex manning a heavy machine gun when mortars were fired at the CIA compound. The security officer had a laser on the target that was firing and repeatedly requested back-up support from a Specter gunship, which is commonly used by U.S. Special Operations forces to provide support to Special Operations teams on the ground involved in intense firefights. The fighting at the CIA annex went on for more than four hours -- enough time for any planes based in Sigonella Air base, just 480 miles away, to arrive. Fox News has also learned that two separate Tier One Special operations forces were told to wait, among them Delta Force operators.

Presidents have to make tough choices. I'd like to think that they make those choices based on information that the rest of us don't have access to. In this case, however, there is the distinct likelihood that Obama's decision rose out of some concern that projecting American power might lose him "likelihood" in the Arab world.

1 comment:

Lauran said...

Murdering Ambassador Stevens and dragging his corpse through the streets of Libya was a pretty clear indication that Obama lost "likelihood" in the Arab World.

It's time to step down, Barack, when the Armed Force of the USA are forced to take the initiative in protecting fellow Americans.

Who links to me?