Friday, May 24, 2013

Does James White mistrust reason?

This is from a recent convert to Catholicism who challenged James White to a philosophical debate and was given the patented James White "God is glorified by the fact that you are damned" treatment:

So now let us fast forward the conversation back into this present context in order to make a point. I think what we see in White is a certain Christian tradition that does not hold ‘reason’ in a high regard. This is what is at the heart of so many problems, miscommunications, and controversies that Catholics and fundamentalists have. Catholics (among Christian traditions) see faith and reason as strong allies while fundamentalists, at best, see reason as a weak ally to faith. I think this can especially be seen in the whole Calvinism debate (personal responsibility, the nature of God etc.). This is why I think discussing the issues of faith and reason or faith and philosophy are vital for true ecumenical dialog.

Lastly, though it bothers me to say this, I hope people stay away from White. Not because I don’t want them to hear his arguments against Rome, rather, I think the man is a hindrance to beneficial dialog that could be had with certain Christian traditions. White not only has a reputation of being prideful but he also has a reputation of being very uncharitable and down right rude. There is a part of me that wishes I could post personal emails in order to demonstrate this, however, being that it is illegal, merely testifying of this will have to do.

Does James White really mistrust reason?

On the one hand, that seems accurate, but on the other hand, I tend to see Calvinism as an extremely rationalistic system.  Frankly though I'm not as knowledgeable about Calvinism as I ought to be.

No comments:

Who links to me?