Friday, December 05, 2014

Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan.

Here is a part:

//Great Christian Literature

Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson - Read and reviewed.

The Diary of a Country Priest by George Bernanos - Read and reviewed.

Hopkins: Poetry and Prose by George Manley Hopkins - Read selections of his poetry.

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes - Read.

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri - Read The Inferno.

Christianity and Culture by T. S. Eliot - Read.

The Idea of a University by Blessed John Henry Newman - Read.

Silence by Shusaku Endo - I actually have this book sitting in my "To Read" pile.

Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz - Need to read.

Lost in the Cosmos : The Last Self-Help Book by Walker Percy - Guess I ought to read this.

Love in the Ruins by Walker Percy - Ditto.

Flannery O’Connor: Complete Stories by Flannery O’Connor - Read one or two stories.

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien - Do the movies count?

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh - Read and most favorite book of all time.

Helena by Evelyn Waugh - Never heard of it. Ordered.


Toby said...

I'm honestly intrigued. Why is the Lord of Rings part of your Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan? It's an interesting choice I'd like to understand.

Lauran said...

Because JRR Tolkien was a practicing Catholic who dedicated his Lord of the Rings Trilogy to the Blessed Mother. Next question?

Lauran said...

"The Betrothed" by Alessandro Manzoni should be included. I actually read about it in the New Oxford Review and picked up a copy--a beautiful story.

Peter Bradley said...


Like Lauran said, Tolkien was a Catholic and his Lord of the Rings is, it is said by those who know, filled with sacramental imagery.

My friend Craig Bernthal has a book on this that I have to get around to reading and reviewing -

Peter Bradley said...

The Betrothed sounds like it should go on my reading list.

Who links to me?