Monday, April 27, 2015

Time to cowboy up.

Professor Bainbridge writes:

//He's right. I've been there (albeit for saying something obnoxious unrelated to my faith). But so what?

Polycarp wasn't threatened with people making his life miserable. He was threatened with being burnt at the stake. And he refused to deny Christ. And he went to his death thanking God for allowing him to be counted among the Church's martyrs.

The Christians beheaded by ISIS faced a fate far worse than a smear campaign by academic lefties and they refused to deny Christ.

Put simply, being a Christian is supposed to be hard. "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake."

It is true that Christ tells us that we are sheep among wolves and so must be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. But going into a religious closet is not shrewd.

"Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house."

I am a sinner who is far from perfect. But I refuse to be a closeted sinner. So I am going to continue teaching and writing about Catholic Social Thought. And I'm going to go on having a picture of St Thomas More in my office. And I'm going to go on having many books on religion in my office. And I'm going to go on wearing my ashes to class on Ash Wednesday. And I'm going to go on pushing back when people infringe on freedom of speech and religion, especially on campuses.

And if my colleagues don't like that, all I can say is "Come and Have a Go If You Think You're Hard Enough." After all, if I may be forgiven quoting the great reformer, "Here I stand; I can do no other.//


No comments:

 
Who links to me?