Thursday, May 23, 2002
PLANNED PARENTHOOD V THE AMERICAN COALITION OF LIFE ACTIVISTS The Ninth Circuit holds that a distasteful and nauseating website is not entitled to First Amendment protection. Kozinski and others pen spirited dissents. It may be just me, but when I was the other lone conservative at UCLA Law School, I got First Amendment absolutism crammed down my throat. Heck, Nimmer, who argued the "Fuck the Draft" case, taught copyright down the hall, and some people thought that message was a little threatening. I don't know how many times I heard about "slippery slopes" and "chilling effects" and how we had to provide a wide area of protection for dissent. Despite that, I never became a First Amendment absolutist. So how come judges who can spot an illegal religious motivation in a no preferential treatment statute, somehow lose that sense of concern when the issue involves abortion?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)























No comments:
Post a Comment