Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Valley towns just can't buy any respect.

24 : Season Two is rocking along as a show to watch. Good characters, strong storyline, but, jeez, you think that they would do enough research to be able to pronounce "Visalia" properly. I heard every character on the show pronounce "Visalia" "vi-zal-ee-yu." My buddy Quan didn't know what the heck they were saying for a while. It's actually "Vie-sail-ya." Funny thing is that the first time I heard this exact mispronounciation was when I was at UCLA Law School and Alan Garfield told me his girlfriend Mirriam was an adjunct rabbi in "vi-zal-ee-ya." It may be an LA thing. [Also the shots purportedly set in "Vie-sail-yu" were not set in any valley town. The mountains were obviously too close. It looked like Burbank. Also "Davenport" Air Field? The only airport in Visalia that I know is the Visalia Municipal Airport right off of Highway 99 and 198. Pass it everytime on the way to Bakersfield.]

Update Visalia has that schwa ["uh"] sound at the end. The key is to realize that the first syllable of Visalia rhymes with "high."

OK, say it right and stop sounding like a hick.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?