Friday, November 28, 2003

Further Reflections on the X-Files Post and the Deterioration of American language.

I just realized that I had used the word "viz" in the reference to David Duchovny without really knowing what "viz" is supposed to mean. I had an idea of what it meant. I've seen it used, but it occurred to me that I couldn't define it with any certainty. My sense from seeing it used was that "viz" means something like "with reference to" or "in connection with."

Close, according to one on-line dictionary, the definition is as follows:

viz.

adv : as follows [syn: namely, that is to say, videlicet]


Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Viz \Viz\, adv. [Contr. fr. videlicet.]

To wit; that is; namely.


So my use was probably not according to Hoyle.

Nonetheless, this marginal error neatly underscores a point being made repeatedly by John McWhorter in Doing Our Own Thing, which is to say, or viz, that there is a difference to many, and an increasingly dwindling number, between written and oral speech. Written speech has traditionally been more formal than spoken. In writing, we try words and sentence constructions on for size that we would never dream of using in person. "Viz," for example, is a word I would never used in casual conversation except for amusement value.

McWhorter's point, though, is that the distinction between written and spoken English is in rapid decline, to the intellectual impoverishment of society. Compared to even 50 years ago, our written communication is coarse, simplistic and simple-minded. The reaction against formality and care in communication can be seen in a variety of arenas. One can see this phenomena anytime one wanders over to the Atrios blog and read the comments. Likewise, I remember teaching a class in Corporations Law and using words that while somewhat beyond Reader's Digest, should not have been entirely unfamiliar to anyone with a college degree. I had a few students who were not ashamed or discomforted in admitting that they were unfamiliar with these words and their attitude was that the multisyllabic term I had thrown out was "funny." I suggested to the class that they were in law school and that part of their educational goal might be to adopt an air of humility, to wit, or viz, even though the vocabulary was not included in the Beavis and Butthead lexicon it might still be worth learning. (OK. I didn't really say that, but I did suggest that they look up unfamiliar words in a dictionary.)

Incidentally, I do recommend McWhorter's book. It is well-written and explains things I had wondered long about, such as why Prime Minister Question Hour is such a charming demonstration of wit and intelligence, especially when compared to the inarticulate grunting that American politicians can muster only with preparation; and why print advertising from even the 1960s seems to read like a college textbook; and why modern poetry is absolutely worthless and moribund.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?