Thin Skin Alert.
It's nothing special. I just simply got to treated to the sharing of opinions which included the idea that my intent to obtain an annullment was hypocritical, that annulment was simply a hypocritical example of the Catholic Church once again imposing man-made laws on its adherents, and that my purpose in seeking an annulment was simply to ensure that I can re-marry in a Catholic ceremony. It would seem that my intent to seek an anulment establishes that I'm something of a self-serving, narrow-minded hypocrite afflicted with a neurotic scrupulosity.
Heavens, I reckon if I was a Budhist expressing my desire to comply with some tenet of Budhism, I would have got a pass without comment. People might have expressed a genuine interest in the subject. But if it's Catholic doctrine, everyone - even non-Catholics - get to have an opinion.
Incidentally, though, two cheers for my Faith and its faithful adherence to the rule that remarriage - marriage after a real marriage - is prohibited. I've been forced to reflect on my orientation towards dating, romance and marriage. Having seen some recently separated men on the prowl to put a band-aid on their heart-ache, and who will probably end up remarried in the next year or two to women who are identical to their soon to be ex-wives, thereby positively establishing Nietszche's idea of eternal recurrence, I think an ethos that forces a time-out and a re-think on such matters is one that has substantial merit. Counter-cultural certainly, but meritorious. Further, I don't intend to remarry, but I would like to be free, and an independent determination that my ex and I didn't have the same understanding of "marriage" might be a step in that direction. Besides if my purpose was simply to get remarried, I could always become a Protestant.
But that's not my beef. Check out this Southern Appeal post on Margaret Cho's scurrilous attack on my Faith.
Ah, who cares? She's a fat, washed-up, untalented, lesbian, Korean, unfunny comic.
Maybe so, but didn't she have a network series not long ago? Apparently, she's hosting some Move-On shindig. She also had a guest writing spot on Howard Dean's campaign blog. Further, Move-On may have a significant role in picking the next president - assuming the unlikely occurence of a Dean victory - but who cares? Besides we have to preserve our moral outrage for the next time Rush Limbaugh suggests that a quarterback is being played for reasons other than his football skills.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)























No comments:
Post a Comment